Wednesday 7 March 2012

Saving time and improving health in Uganda with Smokeless Ovens

To celebrate International Women's Day,  Andrew Yiga - the UDS Programme  Director talks about the Smokeless Oven Programme in Kamuli, Eastern Uganda 

It is a hot afternoon, and I pay a courtesy call to one of our farmers; " hoodii (Any one home)…. nobody seems to respond until I get to the backyard where I hear a familiar voice as I get closer. 

I am welcomed into the kitchen where Betty Mombwe and her husband are chatting with comfort. This is so unusual for  Uganda ! She is excited to have a visitor from UDS. After a chat, she lifts the lid of the saucepan  to check on what she is cooking. A thick cloud of steam covers the kitchen for seconds, then she quickly realizes how surprised I am to find such a  smoke free  environment (yet she is cooking using firewood) as she explains how fantastic her smokeless stove is. 


"It has been a real change having this smokeless oven , as it is no longer just me and the children that are in the kitchen. When I am busy, my husband comes into the kitchen to chat about family and social issues.  When I go outside to wash the dishes, my husband will now look after the fire. Not so in the past, as Ugandan men fear being choked by smoke"; explains Betty. 

Betty using her smokeless oven

"I also spend less time collecting firewood as I only use two pieces of firewood to prepare a meal.  Because the oven is designed with two burners - I can boil drinking water at the same time as I cook our meal, using the same amount of wood. In the past I would collect wood 4 times a week, but since I've had the oven I only have to do it once a week.  I don't have to worry about warming food for any family member who missed the main meal either as food keeps warm for four hours.  Oh smokeless ovens -  what a wonder and great relief you are  to the women of Africa who have to rely on firewood to cook !


It only costs £30 to train somebody to build a smokeless oven - the materials are nature's gift!  Donate now to our smokeless oven project or read more about them at www.ugandadev.org.uk