Tuesday 12 June 2012

Nightrider 2012 - Sue's story

UDS Fundraiser Sue Craig (www.justgiving.com/sueandrichardcraig) 
decided to take part this year .... 

Working for UDS I know how much a difference the funds raised from this event makes to us.  

Nightrider first started 3 years ago - and I persuaded my husband and some friends to take part.  I was originally going to join them, but a bad back prevented me.Last year, I convinced myself I was needed to be the support - our team was bigger and I felt that my efforts were best spent making sure that hot coffee and cheery greeting was waiting for them the following morning.

However this year, after commuting regularly from Teddington to Ealing by bike,  I decided I would have a go.  I managed to persuade my husband Richard, to take part again and training started in earnest with our friends Chris, Helen and Mandy.  All three of them had taken part the previous years - and Helen (who is also a UDS Trustee) did a splendid job in recruiting colleagues from Microsoft. 

The UDS Team ready at Crystal Palace


I really enjoyed the training - I was seeing parts of my local area that I had not discovered before - Esher Woods, Epsom Common, Windsor Great Park to name but a few.  I was very apprehensive about the night though - particularly as the weather was so dismal and I knew how high Alexandra Palace was. 



But I am pleased to say that for once the weather was in our favour.  We had a clear night - and a beautiful morning.  London looked lovely - although I wasn't allowed to stop to take photos by my husband.  Several of the hills had to be pushed up - but coming down from Hampstead to Camden was sheer delight!  We completed the ride in about 8 hours - which we felt was a respectable time (although nothing like as quick as Wayne!) 


Dawn over London from Alexandra Palace

Thank you all for your donations and kind words of support. Also to all the people who took part - and to Mark, Nicola and Ali who provided the back up this year.  Will we do it again next year? Probably!

No comments:

Post a Comment