Thursday 28 November 2013

UDS Chair of Trustees visits Uganda

Mark Sheard, the Chair of Trustees, has just returned from a visit to our projects in Uganda. On his return to the UK he wrote:

I met many inspirational people on this visit – but one particular lady’s story will stay with me for many years to come. She told me how she was widowed 6 years ago which left her both destitute and in despair. But then she told me UDS came, and showed her how her tiny scrap of land could produce food for her family and income from her surpluses.

With pride she showed me her onion patch, her bananas, her maize and other crops. And then, beaming, she quoted Isaiah’s prophetic words to me: ‘UDS bestowed on me a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair.Thank you UDS.'

Widow Pirusuka Wotali thanks Mark Sheard
This lady’s story is inspirational – but, I’m thrilled to say, not unique. Indeed, a recent analysis of our impact indicated that UDS
programmes have directly benefitted more than 20,000 people over this past year. This number is trulyremarkable and we are very grateful to all our supporters who give so
generously to allow us to help the poor to break the vicious cycle of poverty.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment